Monday, September 24, 2007

Empanadas de Alcayota!

Somewhere along the way my weekends turned into Insane Cooking Days. I spend almost all Saturday and Sunday cooking. Now, this doesn't mean I come out of it with enough lasagnas to build a fort, or with piles upon piles of delicate pastries, or anything of the sort. Because it's so difficult to stand up and do things with my hands, it takes me a while to make anything.

This week we made humitas and spaghetti squash preserve (dulce de alcayota). Thing is, I couldn't remember what all the spaghetti squash stuff was used on. I mean, you can use it as you would jam, but with just the two of us--and really, probably it's just going to be me eating it, because MrSporks makes confused dog-tilty faces at it when he walks by--I needed ideas.

I found this recipe for empanadas de alcayota--empanadas with spaghetti squash filling. I remember these being very tasty but also pretty rich, so they were small. I'll try to make it this upcoming weekend, and see how they turn out.

1 comment:

Chris said...

PLEASE CAN YOU GIVE ME THE INGREDIENTS AND PROPORTION FOR ALCAYOTA JAM?
....AND ALSO THE EMPANADAS?
I MADE EMPANADAS WITH MEAT FILLING, BUT GOT VERY EXCITED WHEN I READ THAT YOU ARE GOING TO TRY THEM WITH ALCAYOTA DULCE....

LET ME KNOW HOW THEY TURNED OUT AND THE EXACT AMOUNTS OF ALCAYOTA TO SUGAR CONTENT...

A FRIEND TOLD ME 2 CUPS ALCAYOTA TO 1 CUP OF SUGAR....

THANK YOU SO MUCH
KIND REGARDS
CHRIS