Friday, May 05, 2000

The trick is to keep breathing.

My mom, perhaps by coincidence, perhaps in a fit of clairvoyance, left a box of kleenex next to my bed.




I finally went to the Dr. about my rusty joints. They drew blood, I chatted up the lab guy (I'm trying to make myself talk to people; I spoke to a woman as we waited in line at the store the other day and my head almost exploded), and called me a few days later to tell me they think I have some sort of arthritis and give me a referral. Doh. This was one of the reasons I didn't want to go to the Dr. in the first place (the other being that I was hoping it'd kill me before finals), and now I'm having a hell of a time getting myself to make the appointment.

Meanwhile, I've started sleeping in my bed. I can't climb up the ladder, so I snuck one of the chairs from downstairs up into my room and put it against the wall by the ladder. So then, every night I stand on the chair and drag myself up into the bed, and every morning I slide myself back down onto the chair. The first morning after sleeping there I couldn't get out; it took about an hour of cursing and wiggling and bending limbs. It wasn't nearly as amusing then as it is now (as it is with most things, of course--Captain Obvious to the rescue). I haven't had major problems since, though, and I'm getting pretty good at getting in and out. Heh.




I've been trying to keep busy. I've seen two 'chick flicks' within the past week, God forgive me (how good or bad they actually were isn't important--it's the seeing part that's bad). It annoys me that I'm expected to like brainless, touchy-feely mush (which is not to say all 'chick flicks' are brainless mush, etc. etc., standards disclaimers apply) just because I'm female. In dumb 'girl' movies, people die, cry a lot, and bond to the oldies. In dumb 'guy' movies, at least stuff blows up.





I felt lonely last night, so I stayed up late. I'm staying up late tonight, because that way I can feel lousy longer, and then be annoyed at myself for staying up, and then also feel crappy tomorrow morning.

I've done things today that I didn't want to do because I thought they were what I needed to do to make things better for myself. It's four in the morning.

It's four in the morning and I doubt my judgement.

No comments: